Thursday, October 14, 2010

Jack the Giant Killer - Jack Character Sheet

I have been chipping away at bits and pieces of this project for a while, although it never feels like I've got much to show for it! I'm still working on a set of character sheets that will act as a reference to the style and colouring I will use in the book.

I am also editing the story based on pieces of updated text that my mother-in-law has very kindly helped me with. In summary, what I have done is used an old (out-of-copyright) version of the story and asked my mother-in-law to try and "modernise" the text...make it more accessible to the younger reader. She has really enjoyed doing that exercise, and now I am in the process of putting her edited paragraphs back into one whole piece. I have always had a lot of support from her with my illustrations (and aspirations!) and I am very grateful for her help. Thanks, Mum!!

Anyway, here's the completed Jack character sheet - click on the thumbnail image below if you want to see the full-size version on Flickr:

Jack - Character Sheet - final

My aim is to go for mostly black-and-white illustrations throughout...images that will flow with and complement the text. For key plot points in the story, I will create full-colour illustrations, most likely one for each giant that Jack encounters on his journey. The colouring style above is what I am aiming for, with a palette that I think will match the atmosphere of the time period. I hope it works!! You can see more of my thoughts on the above image here.

Anyway, onto the next character sheet...Cormoran!!

No comments:

Post a Comment