Monday, December 8, 2008

Grain & Glow Eye






Some photographs have rather unique challenges. This weekend I started on a project that had both yellow saucer glow eyes and a nasty grain texture that I can only guess resulted from scanning in a photo that was printed on poor quality paper or something. I started my work by putting a smart blur on the entire image to reduce the funky grain texture, then I started smudging and painting in some crisp detail that was lost in the blurring process. Of course I had to create the eyes from scratch and I am crossing my fingers that they are the right shade of brown. Without a reference photo that would tell me the correct coloring I just had to guess. I am very pleased at how well this project has turned out. This Golden looks like an old guy and I just adore senior pets.

Oh and yea, I am rather excited about this new circle background. It is a common enough graphic design technique that is "halftone pattern" with circle chosen. I have taken it a messy step or two further however and made it painterly and not quite so crisp and 2 dimensional. I am keeping those final steps to myself this season .... some things can be secret sauce after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment