Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Jinx Cat Portrait and the Color Purple

"Jinx" the Cat

This week I have been craving the color purple. It is a shade I usually tend to avoid because unless you handle it properly it can and will look a wee bit girlish. When I was a child violet was my favorite shade ... I guess it is a favorite of many young girls.
I really love how meaty and tough this lavender looks (above) when combined with the orange in Jinx's background.

Color Trivia:
• Tyrian purple, also known as royal purple, imperial purple or imperial dye, is a purple-red dye which was first produced by the ancient Phoenicians. The dye substance occurs naturally, but must be harvested by humans. It consists of a fresh mucus secretion from the hypobranchial gland of a medium-sized sea snail.

In the Star Trek universe, Klingons have purple blood.

• In his hit song "Dang Me," Roger Miller sings these lines:

Roses are red, violets are purple
Sugar is sweet and so is maple surple .

"Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin funny, but I don't know why
scuse me while I kiss the sky
Purple haze all around" - Jimmy Hendrix

Purple was Frank Zappa's favorite color.

Purple is associated with Saturday on the Thai solar calendar. Anyone may wear purple on Saturdays and anyone born on a Saturday may adopt purple as their color.

Please post a comment and share your own thoughts or trivia on purple. Come on ... don't be a shrinking violet ... leave us a comment laced in lavender.

No comments:

Post a Comment